DIY: Dye your own hair - this is how!
Do it yourself" (DIY) is also in demand for hair coloring in the current corona virus era. With the following know how tips you can try a new hair color at home or refresh the old hair color.
1. determine hair color: Light, medium or dark blonde? Reddish or hazel? Many women find it difficult to correctly determine their own hair color and consider it too dark. The following always applies: Radical color changes are better left to a professional - on the other hand, re-coloring or one or two shades differently is also possible at home!
2. choose hair color:
We make it easy for you! We advise you to stick to your basic tones.
If you are not at all sure about your hair color, you can also try a tint first instead of a permanent color - this will have grown out after 6 to 8 weeks.
In this graphic you can find the basic shades. You can also mix the colors. In principle: to recolor at home, the exact tone is not even so relavant, because you only recolor the base. Everything else then at the next hairdresser visit!
3. save hair color: If you do not like the result, the color can be removed without much effort by applying a new color. By the way, a good compromise between tinting and coloring is a so-called intensive tint. This also lasts 6 to 8 weeks.
4. too high expectations: Great results can be achieved with home coloring products. But not every color wish can be successfully realized in your own bathroom. Extreme hair changes in particular require a precise analysis of the hair structure and a sound knowledge of chemical processes that take place during dyeing. For example, anyone who bleaches their hair themselves runs the risk of the product taking too long to work (additional damage to the hair) or too short an effect (orange effect).
5. prepare well / consider time: Once the hair color is mixed, it must be possible to start immediately, otherwise the color will dry out. So be sure to have the following tools ready:
- Old towel for around the shoulders (generally: wear old/non-fussy clothes).
- Comb and possibly hair clips for separating individual strands
- Dye brush to facilitate application - especially if only the hairline is to be dyed
- watch with timer (or alarm clock), to keep exactly to the application time
- Vaseline for the face areas next to the hairline to prevent discoloration of the skin. Instead of Vaseline, a night cream or the professional napkins from Efassor will also work.
6. measure out the dye exactly: For short hair, one pack of dye is fine. But at the latest from shoulder length two packs are necessary. In this case, mix the second pack also already on, so that you can use it without much loss of time.
7. selection of the developer: Here, too, we give you very simple tips. If you are not quite sure, take 6% developer. Which brand does not matter. Important to know: 3% is for 1:1 same hair color, but it does not cover gray hair. Therefore 6%iger developer take, there one goes on the safe side and dyes up to 3 stages into another hair color than your own. This is completely sufficient!
8. gray hair: If individual gray hairs show, many women commit the mistake of coloring the complete hair to the tips. The color result then often turns out irregular: The roots are no longer gray, but still have a different color than the rest of the hair. A clever camouflage of graying parts works differently:
- Massage the lengths and tips - or all parts of the hair that still have your desired color - with a little shampoo. This will act like a film around the hair and prevent direct contact with the dye.
- Then apply the dye with a dye brush only at the hairline. Do not apply the dye to the lengths and tips until the last 12 minutes of the application time. This will refresh the color there as well, but without turning out too strong. After the exposure time, rinse your hair and continue to treat it as described in the instructions.
9. duration of color exposure: Read the instructions carefully! If you expose your hair to the color for too long, it will not get a particularly intense color, but you will only strain it unnecessarily.
10. clean hair: most often in the instructions you can read that you should wet your hair before coloring, but not wash it. There is a good reason for this: although it is important that the hair is free of hairspray, gel, hair treatments, etc. before coloring, because these form a film around the hair, which can not accept the color so well. The result is then not as beautiful as expected. So the hair should be clean and freed from all styling products, but not washed with shampoo & Co. directly before coloring, but only with water. It is best to wash the hair a day before the treatment and apply the products to dry hair.
11. after coloring: use a restorative hair mask after coloring, so that the color lasts better. It is important to nourish the hair structure after coloring. Especially in summer, you should use a shampoo or special care products with sun filters. In addition, it is recommended to care for the hair after coloring with a special shampoo for colored hair.